Sanitization and Personal Protection
1 – Biohazard Bag: This biohazard bag can be used to isolate hazardous items. It measures 30.5 cm x 30.5 cm and is puncture resistant.
4 – Toothbrushing swab: Clean teeth are important even in disaster situations. Simply add a drop of water to this toothbrushing swab and brush your teeth with ease.
8 – Dust Masks: Use this dust mask to protect yourself against airborne pathogens and dust. This mask also includes a flexible aluminum nose piece that allows for a better fit.
1 – Pair of Nitrile-Dipped Gloves: These nitrile-dipped gloves do not contain latex, are resistance to punctures, and offer great dexterity.
1 - Hi-vis Vest: Hi-Visibility Apparel improves how well others see you. There is a need for this when there is low light or poor visibility, and when you are around moving vehicles.
4 - Earplugs: During any disaster, there can be a lot of different types of noise. Ear plugs are an effective, comfortable solution for trying to get some rest, while dealing with background noise.
20 – Hand Cleansing Towelettes: Hand Cleansing Towelettes have been added to assure health and hygiene.
Lighting and Tools
1 – 7-in-1 Multifunction Tool: This multi-tool is great a must for every 72-hour disaster kit. It has a stainless-steel body, and handle. It includes pliers, wire cutters, regular and serrated blades, a bottle opener, and a long-lasting LED flashlight.
1 – Multifunction Knife: The small and lightweight multifunction knife is made of stainless steel and comes with 9 features that make it an ideal tool for any emergency preparedness kit:
- Can opener
- Nail file
- Saw scissors
- Flathead and Phillips screwdriver
1 – 40-Hour Candle: This 40-hour candle is a very dependable source of light, can provide a source of heat in a small area, and is a great fire starter.
1 – Waterproof Matches: We have included waterproof matches to ensure that you can start a fire even in the dampest environment.
4 – 12 Hour Glow Stick: This bright extra-strength glow stick provides an instant source of light, is waterproof, and safe to use in any environment.
1 – Roll of Duct Tape: A roll of duct tape is one of the most versatile tools to have in a disaster kit. Measuring 4cm x 6 m, it can be used to make shelter, seal packaging, repair leaking hoses, fix rain gear, etc.
1 – Upgraded - Canadian Red Cross Backpack: We have entirely redesigned our Canadian Red Cross Backpack. It may look similar, but there are some significant differences:
- A new reflective band has been added across the top of the pack for increased visibility.
- An Increased thicker grade nylon strapping has been added which allows for an 80-LB weight limit.
- We have added a 600 D Denier Nylon shoulder straps.
- The shoulder straps now have an additional 6 inch in length.
- An additional 12-inch X 9-inch zippered mesh pocket has been added inside the bag for better organization.
1 – Canadian Red Cross Multifunction Flashlight: This LED flashlight and digital FM Radio can be powered by a solar panel, or hand-crank. Additionally, there is a compass, siren, and four small reading lights.
1 – Canadian Red Cross SOS Sign: This SOS sign is made to be placed in the window of your vehicle or house to communicate that you need assistance.
1 – Whistle: This whistle has a durable design and is simple yet effective for distress calls or emergency communication.
1 – Utility Sheet: Our utility sheet is made of mylar material making it compact and lightweight while being water & windproof. Perfect for any 72-hour survival. There are many uses:
- Position the blanket behind a campfire so the heat is reflected towards you rather than lost.
- If positioned behind candles or lanterns, the light will reflect into the room.
- The blanket can be cut up to line boots and gloves.
- This blanket can be used as a ground sheet to prevent dampness.
- Use this as a windshield for when starting a fire.
- This can be used for to catch rain for a water supply.
- These blankets are quite strong and can easily be fashioned into a sling in an emergency.
- Placed inside a duvet cover, this blanket will prevent heat loss during the coldest part of the night.
- You can place them over the windshield of your car while the car is still warm to prevent ice buildup.
- This can be used as a sheet to build small shelter with the help of the environment such as trees and branches.
1 – Mylar Blanket: This multipurpose emergency first aid blanket made of aluminized non-stretch polyester, measuring 140 cm X 210 cm, has many applications:
- This blanket can be used to maintain body temperature and reflect body heat back to the user.
- Use this an emergency shelter and protection from the weather and elements.
- This can be used as a reflective distress signal.
- This blanket can be used as a protective wrap for victims of a fire, accidents, exposure, and shock.
- It stays flexible in freezing temperatures, is windproof and waterproof, and will not rot or mildew.
- This blanket is lightweight and compact – it fits easily into first-aid kits, pockets, bags, and glove compartments.
4 – Mylar Sleeping Bags: This large sleeping bag measuring 91 cm X 213 cm is made of mylar material, making it compact, lightweight, and reflective while being water & windproof. This sleeping bag retains up to 99% of body heat to ensure warmth. Some alternate uses of the sleeping bag include:
- Place it over the windshield of your car while the car is still warm to prevent ice buildup.
- Use sheets when building a small shelter with the help of the environment such as trees and branches.
4 – Rain Poncho: This one size fits all bright yellow rain poncho will keep you or your family members dry, and greatly decrease your chance of hypothermia from being wet.
Food and Water
4 – 3600 Calorie Food Bars: This coconut flavoured food bar is a great addition to your family’s emergency preparedness kit. The S.O.S. emergency food rations have a 5-year shelf life and can be stored in any environment. The package contains 9 bars totaling 3,682 calories and won’t make you thirsty.
1 – 10 Litre Water Container: This 10 L (2.5 gallons) collapsible water container is the most important item you can have in a disaster kit. With this, a pack of water purification tablets, and a source of water you are set.
4 – 20 L Water Purification Tablet: This tablet is rapidly dissolving, is safe for adults and children, and is effective against: Giardia, bacteria, and viruses when directions are followed.
- Tablet treats 20 liters of water.
- There is no odor or color.
- It is approved and used by international aid agencies including the International Red Cross.
6 – Emergency Water Ration (Individual 125ml): We all need water to survive and these individual water packets will ensure you have your basic need met with clean drinking water. Water packets have a 5-year shelf life.